This page under construction: please check back for updates.
Please refer to the “read-me” PDF which was included with your download. It includes information on that plugin’s features as well as basic support information. More detailed usage information will soon be available here.Go back to Documentation
ToolShed is a collection of utility functions accessed through tools and menus in Adobe Illustrator.
- Stabilized Pencil tool adds a “leash” to a pencil tool to smooth its travels similar to Photoshop’s smoothed brushes. Create corners where you want them and draw smooth broad strokes with ease. Choose your leader length and path smoothing settings.
- Offset Open Paths offsets an open or closed path; open paths offset as open, not closed! Use a dialog or tool to offset one or many copies on one or both sides of the target path.
- Tangent Arc tool draws circular arcs that are tangent to another path or smoothly continues a path at the angle of its endpoint. The extent of the arc can be very small or nearly a full circle. Press the Alt/Option key to draw a tangent straight line, or press Shift to constrain its angle to increments of 15 degrees.
- Transform tool that differs from Adobe’s in that it will not skew your art and lets you choose an anchor point for scaling and rotating.
- Stacking order (NEW) lets you change the order of objects based on their position. Options include center, left, right, top, and bottom, ascending or descending. Another option lets you change the stacking order by the size/area of the object.
- Latitude Lines creates a series of parallel lines distributed as though they were evenly spaced and wrapped around a cylinder, with live preview.
- Create a Radiant, or a group of lines fanning out like a pie chart at equidistant angles, with live preview.
- Unscale art will figure the inverse of a scaling factor to restore objects to their original size (or at least very, very close).
- Scale to Proportion scales art relative to two given values.
- Scale Stroke Weight will scale the line thickness of selected paths without scaling the art itself.
- Transform tool allows you to scale and rotate art without accidentally skewing. Rotate just the bounding box in order to stretch the art along any angle you choose.
- Minimum Stroke Weight will find all paths with a stroke thinner than your minimum and set the width accordingly.
- Fade will lighten or darken the stroke and/or fill of a path object by a given percentage.
(These features work without licensing, even after the trial period has expired):
- Scale to Proportion
- Scale Stroke Weight
- Minimum Stroke Weight
Offset Open Path creates an offset copy of a path using a dialog with live preview or a tool you drag in real time. Offsets can include multiple copies on one or both sides of a path. Open paths offset to another open path, not a closed outline of a thicker version of the path!
Stabilized Pencil tool adds a “leash” to a pencil tool to stabilize it, similar to Photoshop’s smoothed brushes. Keep corners where you want them and smooth the broad strokes. Once drawn, the path is simplified according to settings you choose.
Tangent Arc tool draws circular arcs constrained tangent to another path or appends it to the end of another path, smoothly added at the angle of the endpoint. Drag the mouse to intuitively determine both the radius of the curve and its extent, which can be a degree or two or nearly a complete circle. Press Alt/Option to draw a straight line constrained tangent to another path or continuing an existing path. Press Shift to constrain the line’s angle or arc’s curvature to increments of 15 degrees.
Radiant creates a group of lines fanning out like a pie chart at equidistant angles. Again, a preview allows you to adjust the number of divisions to match your art.
Latitude Lines creates a series of parallel lines distributed as though they were evenly spaced and wrapped around a cylinder (or globe). Use the live preview from the settings dialog to check your art before committing with the OK button.
Scale Proportionally scales an object based on the proportion between two values. Say you have a map and you know that the distance from one point to another is 16.7783 miles. You can draw a line between those points and enter the distance you’d like your scale of miles to be, and the selected line will be scaled accordingly.
Unscale Art can be used when, say, you’ve scaled a bunch of objects and one of them shouldn’t have been scaled. To return it to its original size, the plugin will figure the inverse of the scaling factor to restore it to its original size (or at least very, very close).
Scale Stroke Weight will quickly scale the line thickness of selected paths by the percentage you enter without having to futz with settings in your Scale dialog.
Minimum Stroke Weight will find all paths with a stroke thinner than your minimum and set the width accordingly.
More functions will likely be added to this plugin over time.
There are 100 trial uses, and the Scale Stroke Weight and Minimum Stroke Weight will continue to work for free after the trial of the other functions is used.
• Adobe Illustrator CS6 through 2021
• Windows 7-10, 32- or 64-bit
• macOS as required for your version of Illustrator. Only 2019-2021 plugins are notarized for macOS 10.15 Catalina or newer